Skincare Products to Avoid When Pregnant
Pregnancy is a time of great change, and that includes changes to your skin. As your body goes through hormonal shifts, you may notice differences in your skin texture, tone, and overall appearance. It's important to take care of your skin during pregnancy, but it's equally important to be mindful of the skincare products you use. In this article, we'll discuss what skincare to avoid during pregnancy and what you can use instead to support healthy, glowing skin.
Skincare to Avoid During Pregnancy
- Synthetic Fragrances: Synthetic fragrances are often used in skincare products to enhance their scent, but they can be harmful to both you and your developing baby. These fragrances are often made up of dozens of chemicals, many of which have been linked to hormone disruption, allergies, and even cancer.
- Retinol: Retinol is a powerful anti-aging ingredient that can be found in many skincare products, but it's not recommended for use during pregnancy. High doses of vitamin A, which retinol is derived from, have been linked to birth defects.
- Mass Manufactured Products: Many mass-produced skincare products contain a host of questionable ingredients, such as hormone-disrupting preservatives, synthetic fragrances, and skin-drying alcohols. It's best to avoid these products during pregnancy to reduce the risk of adverse reactions.
- Prescription Treatments: Prescription skincare treatments, such as topical antibiotics and prescription retinoids, should be avoided during pregnancy unless specifically prescribed by your doctor.
- Hormone Disrupting Preservatives: Many skincare products contain preservatives to prevent bacteria growth, but some of these preservatives have been linked to hormone disruption and even cancer. It's best to avoid products that contain ingredients like parabens, phthalates, and formaldehyde.
- Ingredients That Damage the Skin Barrier: During pregnancy, your skin may be more sensitive and prone to dryness. It's important to avoid ingredients that can damage the skin barrier, such as alcohol, sulfates, and harsh exfoliants.
What to Use Instead
- Small Batch Handcrafted Products: Small batch, handcrafted skincare products are often made with high-quality, natural ingredients that are gentle on the skin. Look for products that are made in small batches to ensure freshness and quality.
- Mother Nature's Remedies: Many natural ingredients can be used to support healthy skin during pregnancy. Look for products that contain ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, and calendula, which can help soothe and hydrate the skin.
- ECOCERT Certified Preservatives: If you do need to use a product that contains preservatives, look for products that use ECOCERT certified preservatives, which are made from natural ingredients and are free from harmful chemicals.
- Natural Scent of Real Ingredients: Many skincare products use synthetic fragrances to enhance their scent, but natural scents can be just as effective and safer for use during pregnancy. Look for products that use essential oils and natural extracts to add scent to their products.
- Ingredients That Support Skin Barrier Function: During pregnancy, it's important to use products that support the skin barrier function. Look for products that contain ingredients like hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and glycerin, which can help to hydrate and protect the skin.
In conclusion, there are many skincare products to avoid during pregnancy, but there are also many safe and effective alternatives to choose from. By choosing small batch handcrafted products, mother nature's remedies, ECOCERT certified preservatives, natural scents, and ingredients that support skin barrier function, you can ensure that you're taking care of your skin and your growing baby at the same time. As always, be sure to consult with your doctor before trying. Check out our all-natural pregnancy-safe skincare HERE.